• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 1, 2020

    Pokémon I just realized when I got my first pokemon game, I was the age someone starts their journey in the pokemon world.

    Pokémon I just realized when I got my first pokemon game, I was the age someone starts their journey in the pokemon world.


    I just realized when I got my first pokemon game, I was the age someone starts their journey in the pokemon world.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    Back in 2004, i was 10 years old.

    I didn't get the game on my birthday. But rather, for summer vacation, my family was going back home to Sri Lanka.

    To keep me occupied, they got me Pokemon Emerald. And that summer, I began my adventure, picking up Torchic as my very first starter (but literally, all Hoenn starters are the best. There is no wrong answer).

    16 years later, just now, thinking about things, I just realized this coincidence.

    submitted by /u/superdummyblue
    [link] [comments]

    What if Mimikyu had a split evolution?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:14 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/2tGOvUQ

    What if Mimikyu had a split evolution? At max happiness, Mimikyu would evolve into a Pokémon that was more based around itself instead of Pikachu. Mimikyu would still have its Pikachu disguise, but its design would be less concerned on conveying himself as Pikachu. Meanwhile, if Mimikyu evolves through either leveling or a thunderstone (trying to level it up before its happiness maxes out might be difficult) it will try to mimic Pikachu even further by turning its disguise into Raichu.

    submitted by /u/LividASF
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] #445: Garchomp, by yours truly

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 01:49 PM PDT

    Fun fact: a Pokemon with every type in the game would only be weak to rock

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 06:27 PM PDT

    A Pokemon with every type would be 2x weak to rock, and it would either resist, take neutral damage from, or be immune to every other type in the game. If you need me to share it, I made a sticky note containing all the data. Also, the Pokemon would be 16x resistant to bug and grass types lol

    submitted by /u/SquirtyElite
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Mega Sceptile for Sceptile Day! Art by Me

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    I made a low poly 3D version of Professor Oak's Lab from FireRed/LeafGreen

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/2q4HkpF.jpg

    I've been enjoying turning the pixel art from the older games into the flat shaded low poly style. Red/Blue I feel like is a bit too simplistic to look attractive but the GBA generation came out really nice.

    submitted by /u/mrdinosaur
    [link] [comments]

    Why is Gengar so great with children?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 08:11 AM PDT

    On one hand, you read its Pokedex entries and you're completely shocked. Gengar seems like a vicious predator that has chosen to murder people at night for walking by street lights.

    On the other hand, the ghost types in Season 1 seemed to enjoy hanging with and pranking Ash and Pikachu. Plus Acerola seems to befriend a Gengar as well.

    So is it a vicious killing machine or great with children?

    submitted by /u/RangoTheMerc
    [link] [comments]

    Made a Gen 1 iOS pokedex theme.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    Hey guys, was inspired by the rotom dex theme but I'm to old to know who that is, so this is my attempt at a Gen1 theme, need advice on how to improve. Go gentle I'm not a graphic designer.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=uk53Vrf-jRs

    submitted by /u/qit4444
    [link] [comments]

    An A.I. Reddit bot shares a confusing story about it's Pokemon childhood

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    This is a strange reply of an A.I. bot on the question of a Pokemon plot:

    Bot comment

    "I could never tell as a kid what the Pokemon Red and Blue movies were about. Well, at least, I think as a kid. I knew of my Pokemon collection (a bunch of Red and Blue Pokemon, from a past life, I believe), but no one knew the Pokemon Red and Blue in an episode. But there was a Red and Blue - I knew of the movie, right? My mom told me of the film. But I never knew what was going on. I'm not very good at watching.

    When I was very little, I watched the Pokemon movie in the back of our trailer, so it would be more like a 5 minute trailer. Then I watched it again as a kid, because it was my favorite movie as a kid. I always wanted to watch a movie when I was a kid, then when I was a teenager, and finally sometime after that, when I was at home, I wanted to sit down and read a book. I wanted to be a scientist or something, but I had no room in the house. And when I was a teenager, I was so bored with my job. I wanted to be a cool, nerdy guy, but the only cool I had ever seen was my own Pokemon, and so even I couldn't settle down. So I watched all of the movies on YouTube, and my friends and I watched them all. Eventually I watched it all. Then I watched it as a teenager, when I was a wee girl, and had never had the time to enjoy the Pokemon movies, and I was bored, and I was so determined. I went to the library to look up Pokemon movies, because it was very strange how much it changed until the "Red and Blue" and "Professor Oak" movie. But I always had to keep my eyes peeled for these new Pokemon and I watched as they were showing the new movies, and I was so absorbed in the movies that I never saw the end of the movie, because I was so enraptured in the movies that I wasn't trying to learn new things to catch the Pokemon in the new movies I was watching. Because the last movie wasn't much of a Pokemon movie. It was only a short time until the Pokemon franchise had a worldwide recognition, and I wanted to be a part of a good movie. Then the Pokemon movies came out, and I never even saw a new movie. For a little while, I was happy. I couldn"

    https://www.reddit.com/r/SubSimGPT2Interactive/comments/j37saq/what_was_your_favorite_plot_of_the_pokemon_anime/g7a677m?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

    submitted by /u/Ubizwa
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Pokémon at Play by Me.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    If you had to live in a world with one of these legendary trios, which one would you choose?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    I personally would live in a world with the Aura Trio, the concept behind Xerneas and Yveltal is probably my favorite out of all legendary Pokémon and it would be an incredibly balanced world thanks to them. I didn't even consider the Weather Trio (Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza) because I don't think there's anyone who would like to live in world where the weather keeps changing, powerful Pokémon are constantly fighting and the only way to stop them is a green flying snake. Tell me how you made your choice in the comments!

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/lanturnxo
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Bayleef soaking up the sunshine by me.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:42 AM PDT

    Since it is October 1st, I thought I'd share my Haunter Jack-O-Lantern!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:18 AM PDT

    Problem Solving and Complex Puzzles in Pokemon D&D Wundoro Adventure

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    Anyone else miss the caves and more complex puzzles from earlier gens that the most recent Pokemon games seem to have mostly abandoned? Sun/Moon, and Sword/Shield seemed especially simple and probably by design to suit even younger audiences. Still... there was something engaging and rewarding about completing the push Boulder trials in the Ice Caves, or making your way up the Sky Tower on your bicycle.

    In the latest epsiode of Pokemon D&D Wundoro Adventure, Brook and Jackson wander into the hidden Lava Tubes beneath Make-A-Wish Lake. Having to contend with burning magma and rushing waters, the party braves every danger on their mission to save stolen friend. https://youtu.be/SO49-OhtNZE

    submitted by /u/scronline
    [link] [comments]

    My take on Calyrex, ruler of ancient Galar

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 11:53 PM PDT

    I don't want my Pokemon journey to be over

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    First of this is going to be pretty long and secondly I am pretty sure I am going to get some level of hate but here goes nothing

    I been a Pokemon fan since the 2nd grade back in 2012 I watched the anime on YouTube from the very beginning all the way until half of Hoenn or the advance series, I played and collected the cards

    In 2013 I got my very first Pokemon, Pokemon X I played it and loved every second of it I and I even reset my game file all over because I found myself not having much to do

    In 2014 I got Omega Ruby I played it and loved it watch playthroughs of the game on you tube and captured every legendary and completed the delta episode, rematch the elite 4 and even shiny hunted and reset my game file again and again because there was not much to do

    In 2015 since there wasn't a new Pokemon game a basically just watched Alot of videos on YouTube to know more about Pokemon and the franchise and I am talking Alot of videos I watched Munching orange, Aura guardian , Dobbs , true green 7, mandjtv, mystic Umbreon , The Jwittz, Candie Evie , original 151, Tama Hiroka, proto Mario, shofu, gnoggin theories, bird keeper Toby and heck even verlisify at one point and many many more, not mention with my friends in school if weren't talking about Pokemon we would talking about DBZ, and even emulated generation 3 games on my tablet essentially 2015 is was the year I wanted to learned as much from the franchise as possible

    2016 Pokemon Sun and Moon were announced I was extremely hyped and rewatch the trailer countless times and Gen 1 games got released on virtual console so I bought Red and yellow and played them Alot and had fun with glitches and even tried to speedrun it once bought a poke bank subscription so I could transfer once gen 7 came out I washed every trailer for Sun and Moon with anticipation for release I remember when they revealed the starter evolutions and the return of Red and Blue I lost my shit, I downloaded the demo to get Ash-greninja . The game released I got them both for Christmas while maintaining spoiler free from the story I played it I loved it I did the post game caught the legendaries , shiny hunted and even started battling competitively online and felt super proud of how good my moveset and strategies were but I didn't reset this game as much I never reset my copy of sun and I reset my copy of Moon it felt so slow so different so boring it felt more like a responsibility than a adventure

    2017 the Nintendo switch got released I played and love Botw and SMO since they were also games I grew up on and Pokemon gen 2 on virtual console got released so I played those as well and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon got announced I was a little disappointed that they were not for the switch but still hyped none the less but one of my friends wasn't to hyped at all he said this just looks like Pokemon sun and moon I'm not buying this which I argued with him about but he was just not convinced the games released I got them both for Christmas and I played them was kinda disappointed how mostly similar it felt to sun and moon there were obvious changes but not enough to be a full price game and I didn't reply this one as much I did beat it but only once

    2018 I started to realize that the next big Pokemon will be released on the switch, with that in mind and they were able to do with Botw and SMO and the upcoming smash bros I wondered what will game freak do with Pokemon and how amazing it would be and how it would be such a great master piece it will be... Pokemon Let's go Pikachu and Eevee I bought one I had my fun I though it was neat but I knew it was like a spin off for more casual players so I knew the next game will be the one to blow me away with So I got back to my 3DS and tried to complete the pokédex with all the games I had I already had most of the mythicals because they released them on 2016 and caught all of the legendaries so all I had to do was a lot of breeding, transferring from other games and Alot of trading I managed to do it before the announcement of Gen 8

    2019 Pokemon Sword and Shield the first trailer came out I watched it lived on the bus ride to school and couldn't maintain my hype and couldn't wait for the games I was a little confused that they used the same models from X and Y again but didn't care to much

    E3 2019 happened and it was revealed that the National Pokedex was not going to be in the game I have never been more disappointed in a Pokemon announcement before or after they said that After me going out of my way to complete the National Pokedex mothns prior this is what happens and then Pokemon community started going completely mad (understandably) and then I started paying attention to the reused models the lack of animation for the Pokemon and how the game looked like a HD 3DS game

    The game eventually released and my grandma sent me some money for my birthday so I said why not let's give it a try at least I bought I played it and didn't love it did I have fun yes because of the core gameplay But not as much as previous titles I felt like the game was the same from sun and moon but with giant Pokemon battles the story was not interesting I couldn't battle competitively because know I had to pay for switch online I didn't feel like shiny hunting and the game overall felt really slow and really short the post game story was god awful and feel like playing it anymore all I did was complete the Pokedex and collect the gigantamax and I somehow clocked around 70 hours of gameplay which seems like a lot but I compare to Omega Ruby or Sun in moon both of those I had more than 300 hours of play time (according to 3DS and switch stadistics) so I don't know what happened

    2020 the first trailer for the expansion pass was revealed and I was actually really hyped but with moderate expectations the DLC got released back in June and after looking up some reviews and gameplay of it I did not see any reason to buy it seeing how little content was in there and it was only around a 5 hour campaign at best and how sluggish the Pokemon models looked when they followed you compared to the let's go games that looked amazing And the DLC being 30 dollars I didn't buy it and I still don't have it

    Earlier this week the crowd tundra had a direct and nothing absolutely nothing felt hyped for me they were going to rerelease the cap Pikachu thats cool and we're getting gigantamax Melmetal and Pokemon go is getting Pokemon home compatability that's also cool but nothing got me excited

    Except the music video it reminded me of how much fun I had with Pokemon, with the games, the card games, the anime, with friends and online

    I realized I don't want my journey to be over but I see no reason to continue it without getting enjoyment from what brought me the most enjoyment

    So the reason I am making this stupid long post is because I need advice how do I bec a poke fan again how do I regain this love and appreciation for this game that brought so much happiness but now is just making me disappointed and even mad Should I play through gen 4 and 5 should I buy the DLC should I wait for the next game or should I just move on

    submitted by /u/Japhet0912
    [link] [comments]

    Watching the Bump of Child video made my frustration with the series spiral out of control

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 08:13 AM PDT

    I originally typed this as a reply to https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/j37tw7/i_dont_want_my_pokemon_journey_to_be_over/ but as it turns out, it's like 3 times the size of what reddit allows comments to be. So I made it its own thread. This is going to be long. This isn't going to make a lot of sense probably. But it's still something I need to put out there.

    I have been away from Pokémon since around the time Isle of Armor came out. I will discuss my feelings on the series and how they changed with the years later. But suffice to say I was burned out, frustrated and disappointed and didn't really want to engage with Pokémon content anymore. Then that PV by Bump of Chicken came out, and for the past 3 days I'm just being a completely unproductive wreck looking back at my story with the series and just getting angry and sad. I want to share how I feel, even if no one would care.

    Like u/Japhet0912 , OP from the thread above, I'm also going through some complicated feelings towards the series I'd like to talk about. Only I have like twice his age. Pokémon has been an exercise in disappointment and frustration since Gen 6 to me, with the only real bright spot being Sun/Moon and even then because I'm willing to overlook all the flaws it shares with what came before and after because I really liked the region and it returning to having well-rounded characters and a decent storyline after the bland disaster that was gen 6.

    I've been with this series since Pokémon Blue. During Diamond/Pearl days I felt like the series wasn't doing it for me anymore and that maybe I was just getting older and outgrowing it (I was like 14 at the time), but Platinum and especially Heart Gold/Soul Silver made me stay around since they fix a lot of issues I had with DP. But what really reignited my love for Pokémon was Gen 5. Game Freak really upped their game in all senses with that gen. BW has one of the best storylines in the series (in the core game series I think it's just personal preference between it and Sun/Moon), the games feel more challenging thanks to small tweaks in how experience works, gym leaders are for the first time really well-realized as characters and more than tutorial dispensers and roadblocks, exploring an all-new region with only new Pokémon gave the same sense of discovery and wonder that playing Blue all those years ago had. And Black 2/White 2 are some of the most content-heavy Pokémon games out there, so much stuff to do, I often talk with people who completely missed out on optional content in that game.

    Since then though... XY took everything good Gen 5 did for character writing and storytelling and threw it straight into the trash. Gym leaders are back to being just roadblocks with 7 lines, 4 of which are explaining what their TM does. It's got one of the worst team villains and worst Champion in the series. At the time, the jump in graphic fidelity and the fact they needed to make 400+ models from scratch made XY being bland, unchallenging and almost entirely devoid of post game or otherwise optional content acceptable. It also did wonders for competitive training and online matchmaking. But they are still among the most boring games in the series to me, I tried replaying my copy of X last year to see if it really was that bad and it was just so boring and braindead I put it down after 3 gyms. And I was playing with a bunch of self-imposed challenges to try and make the game less boring.

    ORAS doesn't fall far from the tree, but that was the point where I started to really sour towards the series. I am still not over, and I will never be over the spit in the face of the fanbase that the whole Battle Frontier thing was, ESPECIALLY with Masuda's moronic comment about how "kids don't have time for content because they have cell phones". I've NEVER seen any developer have so little faith in their product that they simply say it's not worth putting in effort because he thinks people will be playing with phones. Mobile players won't buy your Pokémon game on 3DS and if they do, they want to play Pokémon on 3DS, not "be done with it and go back to phone" you idiotic piece of trash. This is where I really started to hate this guy. I already disagreed with a lot of what Masuda said and did before but he was responsible for Black/White, and he was a part of the general revamp in mechanics gen 4 had. Not to mention the guy makes super good music. But at this point, it looked like he either has complete apathy or outright disdain towards the franchise and its fans. And it only became worse and worse in the following years.

    Pokémon Go happens. This causes the Pokémon Company and its moron of a president Ishihara to start trying as hard as he can to pivot to mobile, trying to launch game after game with disgusting monetization schemes that just make it clear Pokémon Co. is just interested in shagging money with minimal effort and Pokémon Go (which ironically is not a game with predatory monetization at all) made them really bosses over the mobile market. It's not surprising console/handheld spin-offs all but died. Look up failed Pokémon mobages. It's likely there's 2 times more of them than you expected, most of them are terrible games and the few that were not terrible had very predatory monetization that essentially killed them (Duel deserved so much better). In a time where companies were coming under heavy scrutinizing due to such practices, this doesn't paint a good picture. But oh, it's just mobile shit, who cares, it doesn't affect the main games, right?

    Sun/Moon as I said before temporarily restored my hope in Game Freak and in the series future. We're back to Gen 5 level of story and characters. Which isn't really impressive when compared to the wider JRPG genre, but for Pokémon, it was full of stuff I never expected. I had a lot of fun... Because I have a high tolerance towards the completely inept way said story is told. Sun/Moon takes a problem Gen 6 already had and really makes it more apparent: Game Freak can't 3D. They don't know how to make visually interesting scenes, they think they can convey emotion through 2 canned animation loops and 3 pixelated facial expressions per character, they look like a kid messing with 3D software for the first time doing a lot of unnecessary cuts and camera pans and making every single dialog drag. So. Much. If GF is so inexperienced and inept in 3D, there are tons of solutions. Just look at how many games have dialogue using character portraits to convey emotion. JRPGs have this figured out since forever, lots of lower budget (and even some big-budget like the Persona series) do this. The character models have a few emotes and are there in the scene but your attention being drawn to the expressive portraits helps mask any issues with fidelity the 3D models have. And Pokémon's character art is beautiful. But no. Canned animations often recycled from previous games.

    The way the game stops you every step is ludicrous too. You arrive at a new city, there's a scene right as you enter. You walk a block, there's another scene with the same characters. Then you're pointed to the plot-relevant location, where there will be a scene before you enter. Any remotely competent videogame storyteller would make this all play as one slightly longer cutscene where the characters walk together and all the information and interaction is conveyed at once, then they let the player either enter the plot building or explore the city first. This gives more of a sense of freedom (even if ultimately just superficial) because you're not being stopped every 5 steps.

    In spite of all this, I really loved Sun and Moon. It returned to gen 5 level scaling so the game is slightly more challenging and fun again, I just like Alola as a setting, and as I said before it does very well in the story and characters department. It felt like Gen 6 had taken pokémon 10 steps backwards. Sun/Moon took 3 forward. It was something. Then the Ultras trashed any hope.

    The Ultras go out of their way to destroy anything good Sun/Moon's narrative had going for it, the uniqueness of Lusamine as a villain, the freshness of a smaller scale plot that is more personal and less "big bad villain will destroy the world with the power of the legendary dragon monster", Lillie's character growth, everything is thrown under the bus for a very uninspired and poorly implemented dimension traveling group of characters (that stick like a sore thumb as being dry and without personality in a game full of it even in this bastardized form) and guess what, a legendary dragon monster that will destroy the world. Fuck my life and fuck me ever attributing anything good Sun/Moon had going for it to Game Freak learning from their mistakes. Ultra Necrozma as a boss battle is so horribly designed too it killed my hope of one day maybe having actual bosses in Pokémon. The fact it's about as broken after you capture it only makes things more ridiculous. Most monster-catching games out there allow themselves the freedom to have big boss monsters be mechanically different from their catchable versions during their big boss battles, but Pokémon is unwilling to do so.

    Oh and Gen 7 as a whole fucked up the smooth online experience they had in Gen 6 too. Because fuck you. And let me reiterate, I LIKE SUN AND MOON. I love everything that has to do with its characters, story, its region, the battles, and general QoL (outside online) are leaps and bounds better than Gen 6. But I can't disagree or fight back when I see how much people loathe S/M due to how badly the game flow and the cutscenes are. Which is why I spent so much time talking about it. It still hurts when I see people talk the story and characters in Sun/Moon are terrible or even non-existent when what they hate is the abject way the dialogue scenes were handled. Or they just played the Ultras and got the worst possible version of it.

    I don't even want to talk about LGPE. At the time I simply didn't have any interest in it because it's just another attempt to make the Go audience to migrate to the consoles, which won't really happen. It's even more tone-deaf in how Go's audience swings way older than the usual target demographic for Pokémon yet LGPE are the most babified games in the series. The only thing I found mildly amusing about that game was Aoi Yuuki making weird noises that she believes sounds like an Eevee. Ye boi. But it's all right, Ishihara said this was a game for causal audiences and new fans, and next year we're getting a game specifically designed for old-school fans.

    Then Sword and Shield was that... Embarrassment. Maybe it's not the most boring game in the series, I really don't think XY can be topped at that, but it's certainly the unholy storm of everything that bothered me in Gens 6 and 7 without any of their qualities. Writing is horrid, with the few attempts at character development arcs with the rivals feeling rushed and poorly fleshed out, the game almost patronizes you with how much it restrains your freedom of movement and gates you from even seeing anything remotely interesting (when there's a giant pokémon going berserk, why can't you at least SEE Leon dealing with it to help build up how awesome of a Champion he is, instead of being told to be a good child and go win your badge and then be told about how Leon beat the thing offscreen later). I don't think I need to dwell on how the story is utter nonsense and Rose is the worst villain the series ever graced us, and that's no mean feat when we have two retards who want to dry and drown the planet for little reason in past games.

    Then there's everything else. Game Freak lying about making new models when they're the exact same. Removing the ability to transfer Pokémon from outside the regional dex for "High quality animations" that are nowhere to be found (and I don't really care about transferring Pokémon, I enjoy building my teams with what the games offer me). The removal of moves. Claims about balancing the game when putting an uninspired yet game-breaking gimmick in it. Making the timer on online battles not freeze during long Dynamax animations as it stopped for Z-Moves the previous gen (HOW DO THEY KEEP GOING BACKWARDS ON THINGS THEY HAD FIGURED OUT BEFORE???). Forced Exp Share because fuck player choice. Doesn't matter if playing the game as it is intended completely breaks it (unless you avoided wild battles and caught very few Pokémon, I'm not buying any claims that you weren't overleveled during most of the game. Catching them all almost guarantees your whole party being showered in experience).

    What more... Town design. I love Pokémon towns, especially from Gen 5 onwards, when they started using the real world inspirations of each region, town and landmark to make them more organic, lived-in. Aspects from NYC, multiple French cities and Hawaii as a whole are easily identifiable in Unova, Kalos and Alola without making it too similar, its still through the lens of Pokémon. The Switch being more powerful, I expected bigger cities to explore, with more tod to, more unique architectures. Look at something like Dragon Quest XI for what JRPG cities with real-world inspirations can look like on the Switch. Yet we have these jokes of places that barely have any NPC (and getting snippets of worldbuilding or just funny and quirky dialogue was always one of the best parts of exploring a Pokémon city. The Pokémon world is full of weird people), Piers' city has only a PC and his gym. His gym where he sings. With no music. Gen 5 had Roxie sing. On the DS's horrible sound chip. Hell, Village Bridge has dynamic music where you add instruments by talking to musicians around town and has a guy who sings lyrics you can actually understand (if you know Japanese, that is, they didn't translate his song) even with all the compression. Yet Piers on hardware 3 generations more advanced is there singing is heart out in utter silence. This is unacceptable.

    I could go on. For like 5 more paragraphs. I doubt anyone is reading this far in, really thank you if you are. I'm going to just stop talking about Sword Shield. Let's talk about what a ripoff its season pass is instead.

    For HALF THE PRICE OF THE FULL GAME you get two new areas. I'm not counting the new Pokémon as part of the paid content because you can trade them in for free. Isle of Armor is out and for all the hype they had about the new version-exclusive rival and the Urshifu, it was really disappointing. It was like 4 hours of content then fuck you go grind raids until you're dead. At least the wild area in Isle of Armor is much more well-realized than the one in the main game, and I have no doubt Frozen Tundra's will be better still. But seriously. The way Pokémon wander aimlessly in the wild areas, not having any interactions with the environment or each other. How generic everything looks, almost like a proceduraly generated game. I like the concept of a wild area but like everything else in SwSh it was implemented in a very barebones unfun way.

    What I want the most of these games is having more content. Post-game content that we would get as part of the base $40 games in Gens 4 or 5 is now paid DLC, $30 DLC for a game that already costs $60. And while I can't say for sure before Crown Tundra comes out, I doubt it will offer as much as HGSS or B2W2. I think we're paying $90 for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon levels of content.

    Then there's the whole Pokémon Home debacle. As I said I don't really care about transferring Pokémon so that doesn't affect me directly, but it's still scummy how overpriced it is, how barren the application itself is, how the GTS, a basic game feature since the series first implemented online, is now locked behind this mobile live service paywall, and how the games no longer allowing transferences from Pokémon outside the Regional Dex ensuring that if you care about your collection, you HAVE to keep paying for this crap service. Part of me puts on my tinfoil hat to speculate the reason the games don't allow transferences despite the models being the exact same is to avoid people transferring everything and canceling Home. Which was a thing that happened with Bank. Masuda's stance, if his word can be believed in, that moving forward no Pokémon game would have all the creatures in it, seems to fit in perfectly with the Home business model. But that is most likely me being paranoid.

    Then there's the fact people are so ready and willing to defend all this. To scream at me that I'm a blind hater, that I'm blinded by nostalgia (yeah because I have a lot of nostalgia for games that came out when I was fucking 19. Johto is my nostalgia region people, not Unova) when all I'm arguing is that it would be nice if these new Pokémon games had the same amount of content as games released on a goddamn Nintendo DS 12 years ago. The same quality of storytelling as one released 10 years ago. That the developer stopped lying about their reasons for cutting corners and dropped this insane mobile obsession already. I fully expect this comment to get downvoted to hell because that's what always happens when I talk about my discontent with the state of the series in comparison to both the genre as a whole and to its own previous entries. But I legitimately can't relate to why people think the current state of the series is ok. If you're currently loving the series and sees little to no issue with it please comment, I promise to be civil. At this point I just want to understand.

    The Bump of Chicken video brought tears to my eyes. After months basically avoiding Pokémon it really reminded me of what I love so much about the series, and how much potential it has. Borrowing a friend's comment on Discord "that video made me really want to play Pokémon then I remembered the games are nowhere as good as that". And that sums up my feelings so well. And I've been in this spiral of doing nothing productive, trying to start discussions about the franchise and either being ignored or screamed at because at some point the majority opinion seems to have turned to Sw/Sh being perfectly acceptable.

    At this point Pokémon is just making me suffer, and I wish I could find a way to completely sever my emotional bond with it and not see anything about it anymore. And that makes me want to cry. Becuase I've loved Pokémon since I was 7 years old. 20 whole years at this point. I feel its so entrenched in my formative years as a gamer and as a consumer of fiction in general I can't just part ways with it. Especially because Pokémon has been, and can be, so much better. And even though the games were never perfect, they always had their shortcomings and their weird frustrating decisions, they used to be so much better than this. And I replayed them in recent years, I know this isn't muddled nostalgia speaking. To see the series degrade to the point it has and really see no hope in the future while Masuda and Ishihara are calling the shots just drains me. Especially when I try to talk to fellow fans and just see how people are perfectly fine with it.

    I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with this damn franchise.

    If anyone bothered reading this ridiculous wall of text about a grown man having an emotional breakdown over a kids game, thank you. I'd really like to talk. Hear opinions about how you guys feel about the franchise nowadays. Even if you disagree entirely with me.

    submitted by /u/kylepaz
    [link] [comments]

    That Pokémon music video made me realize...

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    That the current running anime series can be so much better animated. It has so much latent potential for dynamic and beautiful fights, having energetic and colorful characters, and exude the energy conveyed during the music video. It saddens me that the current anime lost the dynamic movements and fluid animations from X and Y, and also lost the expressive and flexible art style of Sun and Moon. Now it seems the animation is stiff comparatively (but also in general) and sees upticks in animation quality rarely.

    And we've seen how promising the animation could be. This is present during the second episode of journeys, most notably in the raid battle with Lugia. Here, ash's character was noticeably portrayed through the artstyle, and his extra, exaggerated movements added more flare to his personality while pikachu complemented his movements. The raid battlers' Pokémon battle was portrayed just as well especially with bisharp's heavily exaggerated movements; it was a spectacle.

    It could be so good and attractive if the resources were poured into it.

    submitted by /u/Oralucifer_
    [link] [comments]

    Ever realise the possible wholesome parent and child bonding someone probably had playing let's go pikachu and eevee?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    If you are 10 year old playing pokemon yellow, you the right age where you are also old enough to have a kid.

    meaning someone somewhere, there is a happy kid playing pokemon let's go with his dad or mom, and the parent is telling all the cool stories they had playing the original game with his pikachu.

    if this is you, congratulations you are gods favorite

    submitted by /u/TheGoldminor
    [link] [comments]

    So I drew the GOTCHA! trainers

    Posted: 30 Sep 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    Switch Games Help

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I finally got my hands on a switch and have thought about getting a Pokémon game for it. I haven't heard much about any of the ones that are out but I want to get the peoples input of what I should get and which ones better for what reasons

    submitted by /u/CactusReet
    [link] [comments]

    [OC] Drew goodest space boi Dulse with Naganadel!

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/vCZdvEA

    Decided to try out a new style and new art program after struggling for a few days with drawing anything I was remotely happy with. Hope you guys like c:

    submitted by /u/Spookypatrol
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment