• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 27, 2020

    Pokémon [Hype Thread] 27 December 2020

    Pokémon [Hype Thread] 27 December 2020


    [Hype Thread] 27 December 2020

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:00 AM PST

    Welcome to the HYPE THREAD, a place to share your excitement about in-game achievements, brag about success, and get hyped for upcoming events. CAPS LOCK IS OPTIONAL IF IT HELPS YOU GET YOUR HYPE ON!

    This is a chance to post about your successes. Our rules against self-promotion and most low-quality content, including shiny Pokemon pics, are relaxed in these threads--please talk all you like about your luck and accomplishments!

    This thread is meant to be pretty positive, so please think twice before downvoting someone! Rude and negative comments will be removed -- please report them if you see them :D


    This thread is also the place to earn /r/pokemon's prestige flair for completing various aspects of the games. To claim your flair, post a screenshot of your accomplishment in the comments below, accompanied by some indication (username on a piece of paper in the photo, for example) that it's yours. Please note that flairs are assigned once weekly, so it may take up to seven days for your flair to appear. Only one prestige flair can be assigned at once, and prestige flairs will overwrite other event flair awarded on this subreddit—pick carefully! Flair is currently available for:

    Galar Prestige Flairs

    • Catching Charm: Post a screenshot of your completed Galar Regional Dex.
    • Curry Mark: Post a screenshot of your completed Curry Dex.
    • Master Ball: Post a screenshot of your Master Ball Tier in Battle Tower.
    • Berry Sweet: Post a screenshot of your completed Alcremie form collection. `(Minus Ribbon and Star)
      • Star Sweet: Post a screenshot of your completed Alcremie form collection with Ribbon and Star sweets.
    • Gigantamax Factor: Post an album of your collection of all 31 G-Max mon (excluding form variations). Be sure to show the summary screens indicating that they are G-Maxable!
    • Armorite: Post a screenshot of you in the Masterly Mustard Tee after winning every type of Restricted Sparring on the Isle of Armor.
    • Dynite: Post an album of your collection of all 47 Dynamax Adventure bosses. Be sure to show the summary screens indicating that they were caught in Galar!

    Alola Prestige Flairs

    • Rotom Dex: Post a screenshot of your completed Alola Regional Dex.
    • Tapu Bulu: Post a screenshot of your Level 100+ Festival Plaza.
    • Tapu Fini: Post a screenshot of your 50+ streak in the Battle Tree.
    • Tapu Lele: Post a screenshot of all five of your Poké Pelago islands at max level (level 3).

    General Prestige Flairs

    • Oval Charm: Post an album of your completed Living Dex in generation 6 or 7. (Mythicals aren't necessary!)
    • (Shiny Charm: Post 45+ self-caught or self-bred shinies to /r/ShinyPokemon.)

    LET'S GET HYPED!!!!

    submitted by /u/PokeUpdateBot
    [link] [comments]

    Hey everyone :D I was just wondering, what was your saddest moment you’ve had in Pokemon

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 02:37 AM PST

    maybe It could be, a shiny running away, or the people you always played with quit or maybe your DS was stolen.

    Mines is the person who got me into Pokemon, and battled with me all the time, stopped playing because she decided she was "too cool" for the game. (and yes that was her exact words, we were like 10 at the time) Which kind of upset me so I moved to discord to find more friends who liked the game, at first discord was a bit hard to handle but eventually I got used to it.

    submitted by /u/Cammy209
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of fake signature moves for Pokémon, day 67: Tauros

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 04:22 AM PST

    I am coming up with at least 1 fake move that would be exclusive to 1 Pokémon or an evolutionary line of Pokémon. I am going in Pokédex order, and I will skip every Pokémon or evolutionary line that already has a Pokémon in it that has a signature move. Signature Z-moves or G-Max moves don't count.

    The move for Tauros is called Rumble Charge.

    Rumble Charge is a Normal-Type Physical move with a base power of 100. It has 100% accuracy and 10 PP. It has a 20% chance to raise the user's Speed by 1 stage.

    Tauros is very often seen running towards their target and ramming into them, just like real bulls do. I made this move around that, and just like Double-Edge, I gave it recoil damage, but only half the amount of Double-Edge. The 20% chance to raise the Speed stat is simply there because I wanted this move to not be too similar to Double-Edge, and this would make it more useful than that, even if the base power is lower.

    I'd love to hear feedback or questions about my ideas, and if you have any ideas for signature moves for Pokémon, I'd love to hear them, I might use the ideas (with your consent of course)! Even though this is a daily thing, or at least, I'll try to keep it daily, I don't think I'll be consistent with the time of day I post another idea.

    submitted by /u/Noodnood966
    [link] [comments]

    Was animation in Colosseum/XD better than Sword/Shield?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 07:12 AM PST

    Obviously the answer to this is opinion but for for me, the animation style in Colosseum/XD was much more engaging than that of Sword/Shield. I can't really put my finger on why, but the Pokémon seemed more alive and have personality, whereas they now feel more rigid and less expressive. It'd be interesting to see what other people think. Sorry if this has been discussed before!

    submitted by /u/pugthuglyf
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just me or do Gen 7 and Gen 8 have very similar story beats?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 08:10 PM PST

    Obviously most Pokémon games have extremely similar plots but for some reason I just felt this more in these two generations, almost as if the story was an afterthought for Generation 8.

    General - Professor's assistant feels like more of a hindrance than a help to the professor, uses fashion to realize their worth - Primary Friendly Rival (Hau, Hop) feels overshadowed by their powerful and established relative (Hala, Leon) - The friendly rival loses to the unfriendly rival (Gladion, Bede) who thinks that they're weak - Antagonist doesn't have truly nefarious goals (USUM Lusamine, Rose) - The legendary drives most of the conflict instead of the antagonists

    Early Game - Starts with the protagonist needing to get their bag, near identical cutscene to show it - Has an early game mysterious event regarding the legendary (Tapu Koko, Box Dog) - The Gimmick Bracelet is an object that comes from a legendary, falls from the sky - Obligatory battle for an audience (Iki Town Festival in SuMo, Endorsement Battle in SwSh)

    Mid-late game - rapid fire badge/trials, a couple major encounters with the evil teams (Po Town and Aether in SuMo, Spikemuth and Rose Tower in SwSh) - Antagonist dramatically summons legendary Pokémon for protagonist to beat - Friendly rival begins to regain confidence, unfriendly rival gets humbled (likely after losing to the protagonist) - Antagonist sees the error of their ways, repents (Lusamine changes the foundation, Rose turns himself in to custody) - Final game route is an icy area (Lanakila, Route 10) - Penultimate fight is with friendly rival

    Most of the Same Story Syndrome (SSS for short) happens in the early stages of the game, which leads me to think that either they established the plot based on Sun and Moon's plot or they wrote the ending for Sword and Shield then quickly wrote the beginning.

    submitted by /u/quinnfabr
    [link] [comments]

    Which starter is best in Platinum version?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 10:10 AM PST

    I managed to snag myself a copy of Pokemon Platinum and I am having the hardest time choosing the starter. I was thinking of going Infernape because of lack of Sinnoh fire types. But it's Platinum which means there are more fire types (I do have access to trading, so Magmortar is available if need be). On the other hand, Torterra is one of my favorite Pokémon of all time, and I can get mons to cover ice weakness. Which of the three do I go with?

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/The_Hydro_Cannon
    [link] [comments]

    So, I just watched one of the heaviest Pokemon episodes...

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 05:47 PM PST

    Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 21, One Journey Ends, Another Begins. I guess I'm talking about this because I never knew Pokemon would take the turn it did, especially in what is honestly a Slice of Life style region right now. It took me a while to convince myself to watch S&M, given the difference in art style, but I regret not doing so.

    I sorta understood where the episode would go from the beginning, but I couldn't believe it. After all, Pokemon never really die in Pokemon, at least not in the Anime, games are a different story altogether. So, when Litten started distressing about Stoutland, and Nurse Joy explains to Ash what exactly is happening, and even Meowth is trying to help, it's probably the only Pokemon episode to date that has effectively brought me to tears. Something I assure you is very rare.

    Glad Litten is part of the team. Didn't expect this. Other seasons and regions took themselves seriously with the plot, at least to an extent. S&M has been kind of light-hearted so far, so, suddenly seeing it tackle the reality of death hit hard.

    submitted by /u/MaimedPhoenix
    [link] [comments]

    So I played Pokemon for the first time ever...

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 01:40 PM PST

    Uhhh... I was very proud of catching an Abra because he looked cute but didn't realize what 'teleport' does like an idiot.

    Enjoy this short clip of me being confused after he disappears.

    https://www.twitch.tv/oosimonn/clip/SincereTolerantCroissantBatChest

    EDIT: Holy crap guys, thank you so much for the kind comments and all the support! I literally started my channel the other day and the clip already has 700 views?! A little update on Freddy: he has evolved into Kadabra! Do I have over 8 hours on a game Ive been playing for two days? Maybeeeee.

    Again, thank you much for everything.

    submitted by /u/oosimeonn
    [link] [comments]

    Pokémon is NOT “quickly going downhill”

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 11:31 AM PST

    Warning: Prepare for a bit of a rant.

    I'm getting tired of constantly seeing people saying how "Pokémon went downhill after <insert newer generation here>. I understand we all have our favorite games, but to say Pokémon is quickly going downhill isn't true. Most people that say this nowadays claim it started with X and Y. One of the main arguments being "he games are too easy". Though in reality, while some aspects make the game easier, it's also due to having more experience the more games you play. Plus, if the newer games get way to easy for you, there are ways to remedy this (nuzlockes, only leveling up 1 mon at a time, etc.) The next claim is that Gamefreak is just "cutting corners". The most recent thing that caused people to say this is a large portion of the dex being cut. I understand why people were angered by this. Though a lot of mons got added back through the expansion (you technically don't even have to buy the expansions as long as you have them in other games). Plus, in return we got what imo was a great increase in graphics. Yes, other SWITCH games might have better graphics, though in comparison to other POKÉMON games, they drastically improved. Now none this means the newer games are objectively better than older games by any means, that's 100% up to opinions. Though objectively, Pokémon is not going downhill. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

    submitted by /u/Jameswood79
    [link] [comments]

    Did you ever complete the whole Pokédex in every cartridge?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 10:16 AM PST

    I am on my way to acomplish that. I know it may be silly to do right now, at the end of 2020, but I really never gave the shot to complete the Pokédex until Sword/Shield. Indeed, I did a LivingDex in 8th generation, and that made me want to complete every Pokédex on my old cartridges and then transfer them all to a wonderful LivingDex on Pokémon HOME.

    I started with FireRed, I am almost done with it (gotta speedrun LeafGreen for the last starter and the exclusives), also I am finishing it on Sapphire too (already completed Ruby, only Latios is missing). I may rest a while until jump into Pearl, but it's kinda fun at the moment because I am playing them again with Pokémon I haven't used before :)

    So, did you ever complete the Pokédex in ANY cartridge? :0

    submitted by /u/Edderkops
    [link] [comments]

    Feel good things?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:30 AM PST

    Which aspect of Pokemon makes you feel good?
    It can be a happy memory, element of the games, anime, etc.

    I love the fact that there's always more. Some people hate that about the series. But no matter how long I spend training the perfect stats, there's always different options to improve or take a different route.
    I also appreciate the feeling of starting a new game. Even when I've played that game before, the idea of a new journey that is unlike anyone else's file. The thought that this is mine alone, and although the storyline is the same for everyone, each Pokemon I come across is special to my game. Sometimes it feels silly to explain a connection to a game like that, but it's one reason I don't like to reset.

    submitted by /u/Bonus-Frosty
    [link] [comments]

    Redundant and terrible abilities

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 06:59 AM PST

    One of my biggest issues with Pokémon is that they have abilities that do the same thing.

    For e.g Vital Spirit and Insomnia. Battle armor and Shell armor

    Also abilities that are niche or useless unless under certain circumstances.

    For e.g Magma Armor. Unnerve. Run away. Keen eye.

    I understood that these abilities are mainly for in-game but need a buff to help distinguish them. It's even worse since some of them are hidden abilities. Hopefully within the next generation.

    Here's my ideas what they can add:

    Magma Armor: Gives the Pokémon +1 defense when hit with Rock type move.

    Keen eye: Ignores evasion boosts. Increase chances of getting a critical hit.

    Unnerve: Gives the Pokémon a 1/3 chance of flinching their opponent.

    Run away: This one is tough. Has a chance to give +1 speed or evasion.

    Vital spirit: Grants +2 attack or defense when with a sleep inducing move.

    Battle Armor: Grants +2 defense when hit with a critical hit.

    Shell Armor: Grants +2 speed when hit with a critical hit.

    These are my thoughts. What do you guys think? What other abilities needs an adjustment? Should I do a part 2?

    submitted by /u/Justscrolling375
    [link] [comments]

    Fix for gen 1 and gen 2 weak storylines

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 11:40 AM PST

    So they could just use the plots from the manga. Evil gym leaders and elite 4 members working with team rocket yes please and also it makes them have a better part in the games. I love how evil Lorelei and Agatha are in the manga and also Karen and will don't get the love they deserve in the games or anime while in the manga they have an awesome arc with the masked man.

    submitted by /u/cascadamoon
    [link] [comments]

    In Pokemon Black, how can I tell if a Pokemon I recieved in the GTS is from a different country?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 11:30 AM PST

    I deposited a Scraggy into the GTS in Pokemon Black Version (US version) and requested a Snivy. Not too long after I deposited my US Scraggy, a Snivy came into my GTS, and I received a Snivy. However, I do not have the National Pokedex unlocked yet, and I heard that only Pokemon that do not originate in the Unova Region can have a foreign Pokedex entry. Is there a way to tell if a Unova Pokemon I got through GTS trade is foreign? If so, please let me know! If not, I don't really have to worry, as I'm waiting for a Japanese copy of White to arrive in the mail.

    submitted by /u/CrysanthemumFrog
    [link] [comments]

    What Poke on your team surprised you the most during a Nuzlocke challenge?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 02:28 PM PST

    My friend and I played a Soul Lock a couple of months ago where I had a Venonat. We had also randomised TMs so I was able to give her Sheer Cold since all her other attacks were abysmal. Thus, the legend of O Shit She was born. Since she had Compound Eyes the accuracy was boosted, still to not a great level but better than 30%. Somehow, Sheer Cold hit every. Single. Time. We were dumbfounded. How could such a pathetic Pokemon be able to topple legendaries in a single move?

    However, all Gods die out eventually and O Shit She was slain in battle against a wobbuffet, the first time sheer cold had missed in her short but sweet lifetime.

    Rip in peace my sweet angel.

    submitted by /u/Togepai
    [link] [comments]

    How Many People Have A Significant Other That Collect Or Enjoy Pokemon?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 05:34 AM PST

    Hi Guys,

    I was just wondering how many of you guys were in a relationship or choose to be single?

    Maybe you just havent found the right trainer to battle gyms with yet!

    Let me know and comment how much the other person in your life likes Pokemon too!

    I personally have got into Pokemon collecting recently and have really enjoyed opening packs! It's been great fun!

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Ricodes
    [link] [comments]

    Spinoff idea, a full on Role playing TCG game.

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 07:04 AM PST

    A successor the pokemon card games on gameboy color.

    unlike the other current tcg game, is not merely a virtual tcg game, is a full on RPG, like defeating some dark lord with the power of very marketable card sets, in a game of pokemon TCG

    and you collect cards by travelling accross the overworld and create a powerful deck using the cards you collected accross the land, as suppose to booster packs.

    p.s. if there's a yugioh game like that somewhere, i never played a yugioh video game before...or yugioh for that matter.

    submitted by /u/TheGoldminor
    [link] [comments]

    Will Game Freak Scrap the Poketch??

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:00 AM PST

    Okay... Obviously one of the more unique features of the Sinnoh games was the Poketch (short for Pokémon Watch). With the high probability that the 2021 game is indeed Sinnoh remakes, how would they implement this feature with no second screen? See, in the DS era there were two screens that Pokémon games could utilize, but with there only being one screen it is unknown where this integral feature could be viewed. The wonderful part about this feature was how convenient it made certain things. Whether is was checking in on your Pokémon in the day care or simply counting your steps, it allowed the player to have a much more convenient and smooth playthrough of the Sinnoh region. Tell me what you think in the comments. Will Game Freak scrap the Poketch all together? Or will they find a way to implement it so that it can be seen all the time, even though there is only one screen?

    submitted by /u/bbbabababab
    [link] [comments]

    I've always struggled to get into the mainline Pokémon games. Which one would be the best to reconcile myself with the series?

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 08:50 AM PST

    I've grown with the Pokémon universe, at the age of 2 I was photographed holding my brothers' GameBoy pretending to play Pokémon Yellow. Between the TV show and the TCG, the franchise has always exerted appeal on me but somehow I have never played a mainline game to completion.

    And believe me, I tried. I tried Red, Pearl, Black 2, and at an older age the GBA games on emulator but it never clicked for me. I did love the cheerfulness of the world, Pokémon were adorable and the battles thrilling, but it also felt a bit boring and repetitive after 20 or 30 hours of playing.

    I'm willing to give the series another chance, now that I have aged and that my gaming tastes are more defined. I have all consoles except the Switch.

    I'm looking for a mainline Pokémon game that is a good entry point for a newcomer, preferably one that's not too repetitive, and where the action unfolds at a nice pace. What's your suggestion?

    submitted by /u/Inglorii
    [link] [comments]

    From Pokemon Official Twitter: Mark your calendars, Trainers: on December 31st, the International Space Station will have a special stream, and some Pokémon are planning to make an appearance! You’ll have to tune in to find out who…

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 12:07 PM PST

    From Pokemon Official Twitter: Mark your calendars, Trainers: on December 31st, the International Space Station will have a special stream, and some Pokémon are planning to make an appearance! You'll have to tune in to find out who…

    submitted by /u/earljohnm
    [link] [comments]

    Move Idea: Bizarre Room

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 12:00 PM PST

    So, yeah, this is just a shower thought move idea I had. Remember those Inverse Battles from X and Y? In case you don't, they were a special kind of battle you could play in which type matchups are inverted (a 4x Weakness becomes an 0.25x Resistance, a 0.5x Resistance becomes a 2x Weakness, etc).

    This move, Bizarre Room, would be a Psychic-type Status move that works similarly to Trick Room. However, instead of inverting Speed stats, it would invert type matchups for as long as it's active. I think it could have the potential for some really fun strategies and interesting teams. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/JaxOnThat
    [link] [comments]

    Edgiest Legendary Pokemon Team

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 11:31 AM PST

    Been thinking about this for a while and decided to throw this in:

    Yveltal, Galarian Moltres/Necrozma, Giratina, Eternatus, and Darkrai

    Still debating between Necrozma and Galarian Moltres because either of their design are edgy therefore meets the criteria.

    For some reason I feel like putting Necrozma in more because he is op just like the rest. At least Yveltal has the same colors as Galarian Moltres. Unless I make a stylish Pokemon team only with black and red Pokemon, then yah I can mix Galarian Moltres, Yveltal, Groudon, Buzzwole, Shiny Solgaleo, and Shiny Lunala.

    I would love to see a character made to have this kind of a team where one of his Pokemon gets captured and gets replaced.

    If so, there should be a fangame of this.

    Arguably they have the coolest design in the series no doubt about it.

    Thoughts?

    What about yours?

    submitted by /u/RebellionOfHell
    [link] [comments]

    My First Mono-type Run: The Results!

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 10:27 PM PST

    Sixteen days ago, I asked this sub to choose a type for my first ever mono-type run (in Alpha Sapphire), and dragon type was selected. Now, after forgetting to post about it for awhile, I'm back with the results!

    It took me a little less than 2 days to beat the game (Delta Episode included). Of course, then I spent a bunch of time with post-game content and filling the dex a bit so my current playtime is over 70 hours. My final team is as follows:

    Connie the (Mega) Sceptile, Female Lv 93.
    Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, x-Scissor, False Swipe.

    Nimbus the Altaria, Female Lv 89.
    Dragon Pulse, Hyper Voice, Moonblast, Fly.

    Myrm the Flygon, Female Lv 81.
    Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Crunch, Rock Slide.

    Ruby the Latias, Female Lv 80.
    Dragon Pulse, Psychic, Charge Beam, Shadow Ball.

    Atlantis the Kingdra, Male Lv 81.
    Dragon Pulse, Surf, Dive, Waterfall.

    Orochi the Hydreigon, Female Lv 74.
    Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower, Hyper Voice.

    This run was really fun (even though Connie ended up being way overleveled for a lot of the games because it was so long before I could pick up my second team member) and I think I might do another mono run again sometime. Maybe a Ghost-type run in Sun, or a bug-type run in Black? Let me know if you have any suggestions!

    submitted by /u/awesomecat42
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your most and least favorite Pokémon of each generation and why?

    Posted: 26 Dec 2020 10:35 PM PST

    I'm sure this is done quite a bit but I love getting a look into other people's Pokémon experience over the years. No real specifics. It could be stats, design, or simply a memory you had that made it your favorite.

    Gen 1: Most: haunter. (close second marowak) a young me couldn't trade so the 2nd evo ghost type was my right hand man. Least: farrow. He's like pidgeot's less impressive rival. Doesn't even have a cool aesthetic like farfetched.

    Gen 2: Most: Ampharos. Crapped my pants when my little thunder sheep became this ABSOLUTE STUD. Least: Tyranitar: you're telling me I grinded through pupitar to get this multi weakness mess of a mon?

    Gen 3: Most: swampert. Arguably my favorite mon ever. Least: spinda. Uhm....what were you made for? You and luvdisc were made by a madman.

    Gen 4: Most: Garchomp! (Close with lucario/luray) Young me knew I needed to grind, never thought I'd stumble upon my all time favorite dragon! Least: probopass: how can we make nosepass look even worse? Mario mustache? Mario mustache.

    Gen 5: Most: Chandelure. (Close because gen 5 is such a good gen) Not only does it look awesome, a ghost fire wasn't something I could pass up. Least: garbodor. It's a personal thing. He's muk with extra steps. Cmon now.

    Gen 6: Most: Talonflame. Together, we ran through this game. He's just discussingly good. Least: dragalge: idk, I took one look at this mon and said "I don't really have to catch them all do I?"

    Gen 7: Most: primarina/marshadow. Prim just destroys and looks so regal. Least: minior. Why? I mean just....why?

    Gen 8: Most: toxtricity. (close grimmsnarl) purely aesthetic. He just looks so damn cool. Least: inteleon. Biggest let down by a Pokémon starter's last evo ever. Uuuuuugh the potential.

    There's mine everyone. Have fun with it!

    submitted by /u/Dash_TheMage
    [link] [comments]

    [ORAS] Problems with Giratina

    Posted: 27 Dec 2020 11:00 AM PST

    Recently, I've gone back to my copy of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire to catch the last remaining legendary -- Giratina. I've read that the only requirement for it to appear when soaring in the sky is to have both Palkia and Dialga in your party. This is where the problems start.

    When Ultra Sun and Moon became compatible with Pokemon Bank, I transferred all my Pokemon to the newest generation. They cannot be returned to ORAS, so instead I used PokeTransporter to transfer event shiny Palkia and Dialga to Alpha Sapphire.

    For some reason, even though I have these Pokemon in my party, I still cannot encounter Giratina. Other time-based events are working, I checked.

    Does anyone have any idea how to make Giratina appear? Would non-event Dialga and Palkia from Platinum work? Or does one need to have a blue pentagon?

    submitted by /u/cyndaquilka
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment