• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 8, 2020

    Pokémon [Hype Thread] 08 November 2020

    Pokémon [Hype Thread] 08 November 2020


    [Hype Thread] 08 November 2020

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 05:00 AM PST

    Welcome to the HYPE THREAD, a place to share your excitement about in-game achievements, brag about success, and get hyped for upcoming events. CAPS LOCK IS OPTIONAL IF IT HELPS YOU GET YOUR HYPE ON!

    This is a chance to post about your successes. Our rules against self-promotion and most low-quality content, including shiny Pokemon pics, are relaxed in these threads--please talk all you like about your luck and accomplishments!

    This thread is meant to be pretty positive, so please think twice before downvoting someone! Rude and negative comments will be removed -- please report them if you see them :D


    This thread is also the place to earn /r/pokemon's prestige flair for completing various aspects of the games. To claim your flair, post a screenshot of your accomplishment in the comments below, accompanied by some indication (username on a piece of paper in the photo, for example) that it's yours. Please note that flairs are assigned once weekly, so it may take up to seven days for your flair to appear. Only one prestige flair can be assigned at once, and prestige flairs will overwrite other event flair awarded on this subreddit—pick carefully! Flair is currently available for:

    Galar Prestige Flairs

    • Catching Charm: Post a screenshot of your completed Galar Regional Dex.
    • Curry Mark: Post a screenshot of your completed Curry Dex.
    • Master Ball: Post a screenshot of your Master Ball Tier in Battle Tower.
    • Berry Sweet: Post a screenshot of your completed Alcremie form collection. (Minus Ribbon and Star sweets!)
    • Gigantamax Symbol: Post an album of your collection of all currently available G-Max mon. Be sure to show the summary screens indicating that they are G-Maxable!

    Alola Prestige Flairs

    • Rotom Dex: Post a screenshot of your completed Alola Regional Dex.
    • Tapu Bulu: Post a screenshot of your Level 100+ Festival Plaza.
    • Tapu Fini: Post a screenshot of your 50+ streak in the Battle Tree.
    • Tapu Lele: Post a screenshot of all five of your Poké Pelago islands at max level (level 3).

    General Prestige Flairs

    • Oval Charm: Post an album of your completed Living Dex in generation 6 or 7. (Mythicals aren't necessary!)
    • (Shiny Charm: Post 45+ self-caught or self-bred shinies to /r/ShinyPokemon.)

    LET'S GET HYPED!!!!

    submitted by /u/PokeUpdateBot
    [link] [comments]

    I made a Paper Pokemon game that actually makes sense!

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 06:28 AM PST

    So I made a paper Pokemon game and I think you will love it! It took me like a month to complete it! In this game, you can catch different pokemons (there are 40 pokemons in the game), evolve your pokemons, become gym leaders, collect gym badges, visit different pokemon centers and collect gym badges! Please try this game and let me know your thoughts! Here's my website link with text instructions and template: https://funwithpaper.herokuapp.com/games/6/

    Here's the youtube video I made- https://youtu.be/PDJe_-4RC98

    submitted by /u/haxguru
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve been holding on to this for a while now

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 06:47 PM PST

    Back in 2011 I got my first ds along with Pokémon black. I had never played a Pokémon game before and I didn't know anything about the games. Near the beginning of the game on route 2 or 3 I encountered an audino, not thinking any thing of it I ran away. A while later I saw another and
    it was pink while the other was purple. I had saw a shiny in the first 40 minutes of my first Pokémon game. I haven't seen a shiny since.

    Edit: thanks for the awards and up vote didn't expect this to blow up.

    submitted by /u/tartar404
    [link] [comments]

    Alola had such great potential for semi-open-world gameplay

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 07:25 AM PST

    The final Pokémon games on the 3DS took us to Alola, the home region of Gen VII. It's a tropical paradise consisting of four big islands, with few big cities and Trials instead of Gyms. It's the first region built "to scale"; that is, all the areas in the game are directly connected, with each new area taking over exactly where the previous one ends. It's not like there are routes of unspecified length between towns, or gates that take you from downtown of the big cities to the countryside. When you step out of a town, the minimap indeed tells you that you're one step outside down. If you want, you can count the number of steps it would take to cross each island. No area is lies far from the others, everything is literally "right over there".

    Gameplay-wise, you travel from island to island. You have to clear all the content of one island before you can travel to the next one. Each island has a number of Island Challenge trials for you to win before you can battle the Island Kahuna and move on. This splits the game into four distinct parts.

    Put together, these two factors have potential for some amazing gameplay that wasn't feasible because of technical reasons. The game is essentially split into four parts that have to be done in sequence, but within each of those four parts you could have had so much freedom to roam. Likewise, the openness of the world is hemmed in by the fact that the game engine can't handle large areas, so there are constant loading breaks wherever you go.

    Imagine if the Alola games just plonked you on the shore of each island, pointed you in the direction of its trials and told you to come back once you were finished with them all. A full 3D camera could show you where to go to get wherever you wanted (no need for characters to constantly point you along the way - just have a Rotom Telescope or something), and with a limited number of trials per island it would have been much easier to design them to be taken in any order. A fully open-world Pokémon game with eight Gyms would need to design eight versions of each Gym, picking a version depending on how many badges you have when you challenge it. But with each island having only three trials at most, you only need three versions of each trial battle, with all the out-of-battle content being identical. The Grand Trial would always be fought at the end of each island, so no need to design for multiple sequences there. It would also be feasible to give the Route trainers three different teams depending on the number of trials you have cleared on the island prior to meeting them. After all, back in Gen III, most Route trainers did have multiple teams created for VS Seeker rematches.

    The Alola games are so frustratingly close to freedom. For instance, why couldn't you choose whether to circle MeleMele Island clockwise or anti-clockwise? When you leave Malie City, why can't you choose between following the shore south to Tapu Village and the Ghost trial, or climbing Mt. Hokulani to take the Electric trial? Route 15 could have been blocked off until both were cleared in any case, to prevent you to get to Po Town early - or heck, just have the gates of Po Town closed until it's time to open them. Likewise, the shortcut to Royal Avenue could have been blocked off until you visited Paniola Town (otherwise there's no reason ever to travel on Route 4). Alola doesn't really need half as many roadblocks as it got in the end. The ferry rides between islands still keep the game linear on a macro level, and that's the type of linearity the game should have been designed around.

    The big issue with the Gen VII games is that they were so awfully linear on a micro level too, constantly telling you where to go and preventing you from leaving the specified path. Gen VIII (pre DLC) is even worse, but at least it gives you the Wild Area to explore at some point. But while Galar is a somewhat linear region, Alola has four islands whose layout loop around. You should be able to go everywhere on an island from the moment you reach it. Perhaps the 3DS couldn't have handled it, but at least there's hope that its far-future remakes will be more forgiving with the freedom to roam.

    submitted by /u/Codraroll
    [link] [comments]

    My colleagues did not believe me

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 06:15 AM PST

    When I was 7, I was playing Pokemon diamond. Going to Solaceon Town, I encountered a shiny chansey. I didn't know what it was, but i tried to catch it and failed. I was not a popular boy in my class, but when we talked about pokemon I was in the group. When the next day , when I told everyone that I had seen a green chansey, they laughed at me and called liar. Now I keep playing pokemon and I don't know where they are, but I laugh at them for not believing me.

    P.S. Sorry for my language, english is not my first idiom

    submitted by /u/biglasagna123
    [link] [comments]

    First shiny, ever.

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 02:22 PM PST

    Today, while playing Pokemon Y with my 4 year old son, I encountered my first shiny ever - a Woobat. I've been playing since Gen 1 and this is the first one. I was beginning to think I was just unlucky. Anyway, I don't have anyone to share the excitement with so I figured you guys might enjoy.

    submitted by /u/noodlewalrus
    [link] [comments]

    Last year I posted our engagement photo alongside our baby announcement. Now the set is complete!

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 05:45 PM PST

    Is it safe to ingest Poison type Pokémon?

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 01:29 AM PST

    I have a lot of male Salandit that are completely useless because they can't evolve, so I was thinking of making them into a nice stew. Maybe add some Vileplume sauce and some sliced Amoonguss. So I was wondering, is it safe to eat Poison type Pokémon? Do they just have poison attacks or are they actually poison?

    submitted by /u/MewClearancePatriot
    [link] [comments]

    unpopular opinion why is purugly faster then rayquaza

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 05:27 AM PST

    we know that some pokemon are fast while some are slow right but why is a fat cat faster then a speedy dragon and why regieleki is slow in the overworld

    i think speed is not how fast the pokemon can run but how fast is its reaction time to certain commands by the trainer like raticate has a faster reaction speed therefore moves before somthing like a rayquaza who has a low reaction speed

    submitted by /u/loltst
    [link] [comments]

    Trading Evolutions are terrible

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 08:00 PM PST

    Trading evolutions are a interesting feature in pokemon. HOWEVER, it's also a high risk game when it comes to trading with strangers. They simply can keep what you want returned, Shiny and/or evolution alike.

    I just got my first shiny. A Seadra, I was ecstatic and proceeded to trade it in hopes of getting it returned as Kingdra. The other guy took it and booked it.

    In all fairness, Why did they have to make trading evolution a thing. it's interesting, but it doesn't work. What's you're Opinion?

    submitted by /u/TheFatalBlazer
    [link] [comments]

    earlier this week I shared a photo of my friend in her Team Rocket Grunt uniform, here is one last pic of us posing together!

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 07:53 PM PST

    Galar and Kanto are extremely close

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 10:36 AM PST

    I've had this theory for a while, that galar and kanto are quite close compared to what we earlier thought. The gigantic dragonite that ash saw at the lighthouse in the original anime was actually a dynamaxed one that had somehow escaped. This is backed by how its cry was similar to how dynamax pokemon sound. But its just a theory.

    A game theory

    submitted by /u/KunaltheDonut
    [link] [comments]

    I got someone's Gigantamax Pikachu, and I hope it wasn't a mistake

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 09:16 AM PST

    So, I just got the special Pikachu that you get in with Sword/Shield if you have a save data of Let's Go! Pikachu in a surprise trade. At first, I thought it was possible someone just wanted to re-roll it because it may not have had a desired nature, but it's level 35 so that means someone had it for a while.

    Is there a reason someone may want to trade away this Pikachu? They've had it since launch day of Sword/Shield. Is this common?

    submitted by /u/risingrah
    [link] [comments]

    Best Starter Pokémon Tournament Day 12

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 10:28 AM PST

    Heyyyy Reddit! I know, I know. The last poll isn't over yet, there's still like 2 hours left but it's easier to remember to do these in the morning. But I also have to say it's an end of an era. This is the last battle of Round 1 and starting tomorrow we are starting round 2 (Semifinals?). I also just want to say thank you to you all! I am astronomically surprised at how much attention this has gotten. Yesterday's poll got 2 THOUSAND votes. Like whaaaaatt??? So thank you for participating, and going along this journey with me.

    This round is Mudkip vs Chimchar

    May the Best Pokémon Win. Cast votes below.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/AlexisOfTheValley
    [link] [comments]

    If only I had known then what I know now...

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 10:57 AM PST

    Back when I was playing Pokémon Diamond I believe, I came across a blue psyduck. This was so long ago. I caught it cuz it looked cool and held onto it for a couple months. Then when I was clearing my mons and comparing stats....I released it into the wild. Thinking it was like any other pokémon. Fade to 6 months later when I discovered what a shiny pokémon was and I was so defeated lol I have shinies now, but that will forever haunt me lol

    submitted by /u/Cassanova1987
    [link] [comments]

    I fucked up.

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 04:09 AM PST

    I bought my first pokemon game (shield) three days ago. I've been non-stop shiny wooloo hunting and have logged about 20 hours or so of hunting. I wanted to go through the entire game with it (just like RTGame did). I finally found it. It was the square rare, too. But then I leveled it up and evolved it by mistake and inexperience. I tried to exit the game in hope it would've autosaved after I caught the pokemon but now I have nothing. Such a rollercoaster, and all I can do is blame myself for not saving . Fuck. 20 more hours here we go, even though I don't think my next will be a square again. FML.

    submitted by /u/Ruff_Begger
    [link] [comments]

    A wild Minccino has appeared in Austrailia - new mammal discovered!

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 11:11 AM PST

    Unobtainable Pokemon in Gen 8, Excluding Sinnoh 210 Dex

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 09:49 AM PST

    There are still 234 species missing in Gen 8, but there could be a chance it could be filled up in a Gen 4 remake. However, even with that filled in, we still have a lot missing, and I haven't seen a list of such example so I made one:

    1. Weedle family
    2. Pidgey family
    3. Rattata family
    4. Spearow family
    5. Ekans family
    6. Paras family
    7. Venonat family
    8. Bellsprout family
    9. Doduo family
    10. Seel family
    11. Grimer family
    12. Drowzee family
    13. Voltorb family
    14. Chikorita family
    15. Cyndaquil family
    16. Totodile family
    17. Sentret family
    18. Ledyba family
    19. Spinarak family
    20. Mareep family (only regional in original Johto and Kalos Dexes, and B2W2 & USUM)
    21. Hoppip family
    22. Pineco family
    23. Snubbull family
    24. Teddiursa family
    25. Slugma family
    26. Phanpy family
    27. Stanlter (only found in Jotho Dex, albeit capturable post-game except Gen 7)
    28. Poochyena family
    29. Taillow family
    30. Surskit family
    31. Shroomish family
    32. Slakoth family
    33. Makuhita family
    34. Skitty family
    35. Plusle
    36. Minun
    37. Volbeat
    38. Illumise
    39. Gulpin family
    40. Numel family
    41. Spoink family
    42. Spinda
    43. Cacnea family
    44. Zangoose
    45. Seviper
    46. Castform
    47. Kecleon
    48. Shuppet family
    49. Clamperl family
    50. Luvdisc
    51. Deoxys
    52. Phione*
    53. Darkrai*
    54. Shaymin*
    55. Arceus*
    56. Snivy family
    57. Tepig family
    58. Oshawott family
    59. Patrat family
    60. Pansage family
    61. Pansear family
    62. Panpour family
    63. Blitzle family
    64. Sewaddle family
    65. Ducklett family
    66. Deerling family
    67. Alomomola
    68. Tynamo family
    69. Meloetta
    70. Chespin family
    71. Fennekin family
    72. Froakie family
    73. Scatterbug family
    74. Litleo family
    75. Flabébé family
    76. Skiddo family
    77. Furfrou
    78. Hoopa
    79. Pikipek family
    80. Yungoos family
    81. Crabrawler family
    82. Oricorio
    83. Minior
    84. Komala
    85. Bruxish

    Asterisk are non-Sinnoh Dex Gen 4 Pokemon.

    Seeing that I doubt people would be happy with only 210 catchable Pokemon when SwSh has originally 400, the best case scenario here is just make a new Regional Dex and add everyone here (yes, even post-Gen 4 Pokemon) and excluding Mythicals, theoretically we could have an around 300+ Regional Dex.

    submitted by /u/zjzr_08
    [link] [comments]

    So I dug up my old Wii U and I found this...Not gonna lie I almost teared up seeing them still on there.

    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 04:41 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/a/PmfaNt6

    A shame the Diamond Save file where the bulk of the pokemon that were deposited from is lost to history now. I really wish there was a way to get them out. :(( It was nice seeing some old pokemon there including some from my old Emerald Cartridge,(that is also gone) an event Jirachi and Arceus and a bunch of other pokemon.

    submitted by /u/Turbulence5100
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone introduced a child to a Pokemon game? Any tips?

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 08:59 AM PST

    Hey all,

    My little sister (5 almost 6) wants to play Pokemon on the DS. I'm a bit worried she'll be confused about the battle system, catching Pokemon, etc. Has anyone introduced a kid to Pokemon games and if so do you have any tips on how to get them started without overloading them with information?

    Also, at the moment I've got Heartgold and White to hand (not sure where my platinum is) does anyone know which of those is more simple/easier for a young kid in terms of explanations? For her age handholding is probably pretty good.

    Thanks :)

    Edit: found pearl as well.

    submitted by /u/misty1293
    [link] [comments]

    Found Some Old Pokémon Cards in my Late Brother’s Bedroom

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 12:35 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/8E6MqiQ

    I don't know anything about Pokémon cards. Should I get these appraised or try and sell them individually online?...I don't have any kids to give them too. There's about 50 of them, all seem to be shiny and in good shape.

    submitted by /u/Damien3366
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamax adventure shenanigans

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 06:24 AM PST

    Ever since crown tundra dropped me and my roommate have been doing those raids together. Most of the time we get pretty average comps, but once in a while we get the biggest meme comp and last night we found the best one yet.

    He got the sharpedo with swagger and speed boost and I followed up with the simple beam Xatu. Our CPUs picked the Talonflame and comfey. We proceeded to simple beam swagger the Talonflame to ungodly levels of power.

    submitted by /u/TheIveryCoast
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking of fake signarute moves for Pokémon, day 18: Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 02:22 AM PST

    I am coming up with at least 1 fake move that would be exclusive to 1 Pokémon or an evolutionary line of Pokémon. I am going in Pokédex order, and I will skip every Pokémon or evolutionary line that already has a Pokémon in it that has a signature move. Signature Z-moves or G-Max moves don't count.

    The move for Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff is called Glistering Melody.

    Glistering Melody is a Fairy-Type Status move with 10 PP. It summons Misty Terrain and raises the user's Defense by 2 stages and Special defense by 1 stage.

    This move is a little farfetched in explanation, but I'll try to be as clear as I can be. Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff are all about singing and their beautiful voices. I wanted to make them a move that plays off this. Glistering Melody has the user sing a melody which causes sparkles to appear out of thin air. These sparkles are filled with Fairy-magic and create the Misty terrain. These sparkles also cover up the user which raises their defense stats. Because these glisters form a strong layer of protection on the user's skin/hide/fur, physical attacks will do less damage, which means their Defense was raised. It raises Special defense because the sparkles are magical, and work as protection for moves that use magic as well. The main reason why the Defense is raised more then the Special defense is because I wanted this move to be a counterpart to Clefairy and Clefable's move, Lunar Power, which heals the user by 25% and raises their Special Defense by 2 stages and their Defense by 1 stage, opposite of Glistering Melody.

    I'd love to hear feedback, and if you have any ideas for signature moves for Pokémon, I'd love to hear them, I might use the ideas (with your consent of course)! Even though this is a daily thing, or at least, I'll try to keep it daily, I don't think I'll be consistent with the time of day I post another idea.

    submitted by /u/Noodnood966
    [link] [comments]

    Gen 2 is really underwhelming

    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 07:04 AM PST

    I've been going back over each generation of Pokemon games, and I recently finished getting through Gen 2. As someone who loved HG/SS, I thought I would love G/S/C-but I don't. I actually find Gen 2 G/S/C to be my least favorite entries in the series.

    For one, the Pokemon. There's a number of problems I have with the Pokemon here.

    The first has to be the Pokemon design/stats/moves. A lot of the Pokemon this gen are extremely weak, both in terms of movepools and stats. Pokemon like Noctowl, Sneasel, and more are handicapped by some combination of issues. Noctowl is fine design wise, but it has terrible stats and poor moves. Sneasel is a Dark/Ice type with terrible special attack. How are you ever going to use this thing? Heracross is a great design with good stats, and even it feels useless because it has no good moves. Most of the Pokemon don't have bad design, but they're not appealing options because they just happen to be extremely weak (moves and/or statwise). There's a reason why most Johto teams run a starter, Ampahros, and Gyarados: the other Pokemon just aren't worth it.

    Even the Gym leaders suffer from this issue. Morty doesn't use a Misdreavus, he uses Gengar. Falkner doesn't use Noctowl, he uses Pidgeotto. Chuck doesn't use Hitmotop, he uses Poliwrath. They gym leaders don't feel representative of the region because, were they to use Johto Pokemon, they would be too weak.

    That's not to say there's no good Pokemon in Johto, because there are. Or there would be, if it weren't for the fact, that, for some reason, nearly all the good Pokemon are locked in Kanto. Houndoom, Tyranitar, and pokemon that evolve with a stone, are all locked behind Kanto. Why?

    Even worse, Crystal, the "definitive verson" of Gen 2, still has similar issues. You can't even obtain a Ampharos, one of Gen 2's most iconic Pokemon, period. Why?

    I had such a hard time building a team in Gold because the Pokemon are either weak or straight up unavailable.

    The issues here are compounded by the terrible level curve. For most of the game you'll be fighting level 30 Pokemon due to the more open-ended nature of the region. Even in Kanto (which I'll get to later), the trainers and Pokemon are extremely weak. This only makes the Pokemon issue worse-the move pools are smaller than normal since you don't gain many levels, and your Pokemon are going to be pretty weak due to low levels.

    The non linear approach also hurts the story. Team Rocket is just awful in these games. They feel terribly out of place, they pop up at what feels like random places for no clear reason. The entire Goldenrod episode isn't some climactic even like fighting Cyrus in Spear Pillar, or challenging N in his castle. No, it's boring and largely uneventful. There's really no buildup or explanation.

    And finally, Kanto. Kanto here feels empty, because it is. The level curve is again, an issue here. For a post game area, trainers are still extremely weak. And Kanto itself just doesn't have much to do. You can go beat the gyms, but that's really about it. A lot of the areas feel like a shell of their former selves.

    Gen 2 just doesn't work for me. Building a team is incredibly difficult, and the level curve makes getting through the game a slog. The story feels out of place. I just don't feel there's a lot for me to love here.

    submitted by /u/Dec111819
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment